“You’ll never know if you don’t try.” That’s what my mom said to me when I thought about applying to NASA’s General Counsel’s office. After a few chuckles with my dad about the prospect of me actually landing a job at NASA, I sent in my application. A few weeks later I was invited for an interview.
I utilized the resources at BC Law to prepare for the interview including a mock interview with Career Services, intensive research on Bloomberg with the Law Librarians, and chatting with Professor Mary Bilder (my Property professor) about her father’s paper on mining Helium-3 on the moon. All of these resources helped me prepare for the interview and eventually land the internship at NASA.
I hope you’ll consider these tips and resources to expand your 1L summer internship search:
- Set up an appointment with Career Services to:
- Revise your resume and cover letter
- Discuss your personal and professional interests
- Discuss your application strategy
- Conduct research on Symplicity for summer internships
- On Symplicity you will find traditional internship opportunities at law firms, public interest organizations, and nonprofits
- Conduct research on indeed.com and idealist.org
- Indeed.com may give you more in-house internship opportunities
- Idealist.org may give you more opportunities with nonprofits
- Use LinkedIn to:
- Find other legal internship opportunities
- Find 1st and 2nd degree connections that may be looking for interns
- Reach out to your LSA or student organization mentors – they’ll be happy to give you advice on navigating this process
- Reach out to your professors at BC Law – they may have former students looking to hire BC Law students for the summer
- Conduct a Google search for a wide variety of in-house positions:
- Are you interested in entertainment law? Every major film studio has a General Counsel’s office and may be looking for interns
- Are you interested in sports law? Every professional team and league/association has a General Counsel’s office and may be looking for interns
- Are you interested in government? Almost all federal agencies have a General Counsel’s office and may be looking for interns
Cast a wide net and try to do something that you will enjoy this coming summer. Remember: “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.” -Les Brown 🙂
Zain Ahmad is a 2L at BC Law. Feel free to contact him with questions about his experience, BC Law, or law school in general. Comment here or send him an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.